Saturday 28 September 2013

'A View From Above'

This collection is called 'A view from above' and is based on a birds-eye view of the earth. I used everyday objects to create 'mini scenes', reminiscent of landscapes and cityscapes as seen from above.


Inspiration photograph
\

Inspiration photograph


Inspiration photograph


For the first fabric samples, I wanted to capture a sense of relief and texture. I used marbled organza and tinfoil to achieve different weights within the surface. I then manipulated the areas with the foil to create peaks and textures which I then embroidered around, following the marbled pattern of the organza.



Marbled organza, tinfoil, cotton


Marbled organza, tinfoil, cotton


For the second collection of fabric samples, I focused more on pattern. I used hand-dyed latex to create the marble-like surface of the organza in the previous samples and made marbled clay beads to embed in the latex. I wanted to play with the juxtaposition of materials and the texture of the clay, latex and embroidery together.



Hand-dyed latex


Hand-dyed latex on lycra


Clay and latex


Latex, lycra and cotton

No comments:

Post a Comment